Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Maui County Fair 2009

I can't believe a whole year has passed since the last county fair was here. Where has the time gone? From October 1st through the 4th, all of Maui County gathers for the annual county fair. The fair is kicked off with a parade. Each year, I don't have a chance to see it because of work. I don't mind. Every year during high school I would have to be in the parade due to the marching band. (Yes, I was a band geek.)

This year, I decided at the last minute to enter the Homemaker's Fair. The Homemaker's Fair showcases amateur sewers and crafters. I think it was a bad idea to commit to it so late. I decided in September that I wanted to sew some things for the fair. Dumb, dumb, dumb. One month to make as many items as I could and do them as cleanly as possible.

I also was dumb enough to announce to my coworkers that I was entering the Homemaker's Fair. Now, I HAD to finish everything I could and at least enter one item. So much stress. I had to find material that I wanted because in the end, I would want to wear the items that I was sewing. The worst part of sewing for me is cutting out the pattern. Argh, I hate it! You don't realize how many pieces there are in the clothing that you wear until you have to make it yourself.

There were times when I just wante
d to throw my sewing machine out the window because of all the stress I was putting myself into. I'm very OCD. So sewing can get quite stressful for me when things go wrong. It's not like I had all day everyday just to sew. I still had to go to work. At least work would keep my mind off of my sewing.

In the end, all the stress was rewarded. I WON!!! Yay for me! My Aloha Lolita outfit won first and my oriental purple dress won second. I told my coworkers that if I didn't place, I would be very sad.

This year I didn't spend much. You can tell times are tough. I didn't even get a chance to ride any rides :(. The lines were too long. Went to the fair at the wrong time. I can't believe my friends and I would actually wait in line for 30 minutes at a
time. I guess your perspective changes when you get out of high school.

All I did was
go through the exhibits and get food. (OMG I'm getting old). Next year, I will ride the rides (I hope).

Here are some pictures from the orchids exhibit. I wish I had a green thumb like these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment