Saturday, October 17, 2009

Life is too short....

It's been a week since I last posted something. So many things have happened since then. A tragedy, but many celebrations in a week. It makes you think about life in general.

This past week, my dad just so happened to mention that m
y uncle Mitsuo passed away. It was weird how it came up too. I was eating my lunch and we were talking about something (I can't remember). All of sudden he says nonchalantly "by the way, uncle Mitsuo passed away." It brought up memories of when my grandpa Higa and grandma Nikaido passed away. I guess my family is this way when it comes to death. You don't hear sorrow in their voice. It's just so-and-so died.

For me, it's a punch in my gut whenever someone in my family passes away (no matter how close- or far-apart we are related). I knew my uncle was sick, but I didn't think he would pass away. He was okay for a couple of years and even came over when my grandma Nikaido got sick and for her funeral.

He was always quiet. Aunty Martha would always talk for uncle Mitsuo. I guess he was shy, runs in the family. I do remember him eating andagi when he wasn't supposed. It made me feel happy since I made the andagi.

So a tragedy in the family occurs. A couple of days later, it was time for celebration. ICU (International Credit Union) week started off with a community service project at the Keopuolani park. Employees and volunteers of credit unions around Maui came together to clean up the playground equipment and clean the play area of th
e park.

A couple of days after that, it was ojiichan's birthday. His lucky birthday (88 = double luck). So I decided to bake 2 pies for him. I didn't realize it until the pies were done that they were both yellow pies (weird). I can't believe my grandpa is 88. He doesn't look 88. I guess it's a Japanese thing. I don't look my age. Well that's what people I meet say.

My grandpa was so so so happy that I baked him a pie. I know a many many months ago he mentioned that he wanted me to make a pie for him. When I delivered it, he says to me "you're a good girl." All I reply with is "I guess." I don't get much compliments in the family. The older part of the family really has a hard time expressing things, but we know what we mean.

After ojiichan's birthday, it was Akiko's birthday. She really needed a night out. She's a stay-at-home mom. She told me that it was a very very long time since she went out without kids or husband. It was really good. All I did was take her out for dinner and drinks. Then walked around the mall so the booze could wear off. The night ended up at Zippy's since she was craving cake. We did a lot of talking that night. Now she wants to go out more often just to talk.

Tonight, me, my coworkers and everyone else involved with the Maui credit unions closed credit union week with a dinner at Maui Beach Hotel Elleair Room. It was a very interesting night. It was a night to network with other credit union workers and volunteers. By networking, I mean more socializing than network. By socializing, I mean DRINK. There was quite a bit of drinking going on.

Of course we had door prizes throughout the night. Didn't win anything this year T_T. Also we had our annual jan ken po competition. Now that was memorable. Because of Trevor, I am going think of "Fuchigami, Fuchigami, Tanimoto" instead of "jan ken po."

This week was an interesting one. It made me think about life. Akiko and I also talked about it and it's true; life is too short. My uncle Mitsuo is an example of it. Death can occur unexpectedly. We have to live life to its fullest. Instead of mourning, we should celebrate life. Because of this way of thinking, I am thinking of things that I want to do in life.

I do want to live in Japan or study in Japan. I am contemplating the masters program at Waseda University through U.H. Manoa. Akiko said I should apply for Jet Programme. I really don't want to be teaching English (it's not my passion), but it would allow me to live in Japan.

I also want to learn Japanese dance. This past Monday, I got to watch a dance practice. In the end, I am going to join the class. I just have to wait until after their recital. Right now they are rehearsing for their recital on the 24th. So probably in November, I will be learning Japanese dance (yay for me).

I want to get my CPA license soon! I was thinking about taking the exam next year. I just don't know if I am going to take the Becker's Review course. It's soooooooo much money. The exam is already pricey. This one I have think about really hard. I really do want to pass it but how much am I willing to sacrifice. But I am going to start studying for it this coming week.

I have decided to take up running with some of my friends. We are planning to run the Great Aloha Run in February. So for almost a month, I have been training. I think I'm doing good. I can't do the entire 8 miles yet. I have about 4 months left. I still have to register, plan my flight/hotel for Oahu.

So much things going in my head just because of this past week. Actually it has been like this since graduation. I can't believe how much studying took out of me. Now that I don't have the stress of homework and exams, my mind just goes from one idea to the other. ADHD going on in my head. How fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment